Clinical, Academic, & Research
(As a CONSULTANT)
· Oct 2015 to date : Senior Professor of Psychiatry
· January 2016 to Jan 2019 : Dean, Behavioural Sciences
· December 2015 to date : Head, Department of Mental Health Education
· April 2011 to July 2015 : Head of Psychiatric Rehabilitation Services
· April 2009 to March 2011 : PROFESSOR & Head, Psychiatry Department
· July 2001 to Sept 2015 : PROFESSOR of Psychiatry
· November 2003 to November 2004 : Consultant Adult Psychiatry, Stoke on Trent, UK
· July 1992 to June 2001 : Additional PROFESSOR of Psychiatry
· July 1988 to July 1992 : Associate PROFESSOR of Psychiatry
· October 1988 – Feb 1990 : Commonwealth Fellow, Manchester, England,
· January 1986 to June 1988 : Assistant PROFESSOR of Psychiatry
· October 1982-January 1986 : LECTURER in Psychiatry
- Vice-President, Indian Society for the Study of Pain 1985-87.
- Assistant Editor, Indian Journal of Psychiatry, 1985-1988.
- Member Editorial Board, Indian Journal of Pain, 1989- 2002.
- Associate Editor, Progress in Palliative Care (U.K). 1994-2003
- National Consultant, United Nations International Drug Control Programme [UNDCP], 1994.
- Vice President, Indian Association of Palliative Care,1994 – 1997.
- Honorary Warden, NIMHANS Hostels, 2001 to 2003
- Member, Equivalence Committee, Royal College of Psychiatrists, UK, 2004-08
- Member, Editorial Board, Indian Journal of Palliative Care, 2003 –
- Member, Editorial Board, Psycho Oncology 2002 – 2016
- Member Ethics Committee, NIMHANS, 2005 – 2006
- Member, Board of Directors, Int’l Psycho Oncology Society, 2006-11
- Hindi Officer, NIMHANS, 2008 to 2014.
- Head, Department of Psychiatry, 2009-2011.
- Member, WHO’s Working Group on the Classification of Somatic Symptom and Dissociative Disorders 2010-2012.
- Member of the International Psychiatry Editorial Board, 2011-
- Member, Ethics sub Committee for Dissertations in Behavioural Sciences
- Chairman, Awards Committee, Indian Psychiatric Society, 2012 – 2013
- Member Secretary, Dr Ramachandra N Moorthy Foundation for Mental Health & Neurosciences, NIMHANS, Bangalore, 2011 to date
- Associate Editor, British Journal of Psychiatry- International, 2014 to date
- Member Secretary, Rehabilitation Committee, NIMHANS Bangalore 2011-2016
- Member, University Grants Commission Expert Committee, for deemed university status for Dr Shakuntala Misra National Rehabilitation University Lucknow, July to December 2014.
- Editor in Chief, Journal of Psychosocial Rehabilitation & Mental Health, Springer Publications, 2014 to date.
- Head, Psychiatric Rehabilitation Services, 2011- 2015.
- Dean, Behavioural Sciences Jan 2016 to Jan 2019
- Head, Department of Mental Health Education, Dec 2015 to date
- Member Secretary, Institute Ethics Committee, 2016 – 2019
- Chairman, Board of Studies, NIMHANS, 2016 – 2019
- Chairman, PhD Committee, NIMHANS, 2015 – 2018
- Member Institute Body, NIMHANS 2019-
- Member, Rehabilitation Committee, NIMHANS 2019-
- Member, Academic Committee, NIMHANS 2019-
- Member, Hospital Management Committee, NIMHANS 2019-
SOME MAJOR RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Indian Council of Medical Research funded Collaborative Study on Chronic pain, 1981.
- Study of Somatic Symptoms in Cancer: Manchester, England, 1988 to 1990.
- Psychesthenic Syndrome attributed to vaginal discharge. NIMHANS project, 1988-1991.
- Prevalence of premenstrual symptoms and syndromes in Indian women NIMHANS Funded project, 1991 to 1993.
- Prevalence of Eating disorders among students in Bangalore. NIMHANS project, 1993-95.
- WHO project on ‘Consumers’ and Caregivers’ satisfaction with mental health services- a multisite study’, 1995 to 1997.
- Ministry of Home affairs, Bureau of Police Research and Development project on ‘Mental health problems among police personnel – an epidemiological study’ 1996 to 97.
- KMIO-NIMHANS Collaborative Projects on Psycho Oncology, Psychiatric problems in patients receiving radiation treatment, and those with head and neck cancers, Concerns and psychological problems in cancer patients, 1990 to 1998.
- Collaborative Study on Cutaneous Body image and Psychosomatic Reactivity of the Skin, Joint study between NIMHANS and London, Ontario, Canada, 1997 to 1999.
- International Collaborative Study on Quality of Life of Caregivers of Dementia patients, Japan, 1997 to 1999.
- Terry Fox Foundation Research Project on Psychosocial care to improve QOL of Cancer patients and their relatives 2001 – 2002
- Clinical study of D-Serine Facilitation of Cognitive Retraining in Schizophrenia. Stanley Foundation, USA, 2006- 2010
- International Study of Depression in Diabetes, INTERPRET DDD, 2012 to 2018
- DST TIDE project on efficacy of a novel technology, MRI-guided neuronavigation system, to stimulate specified parts of the brains of patients with schizophrenia using transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) while they are going through cognitive rehabilitation, 2013 –
- Medical Research Council – Arts and Humainites Research Council, Global Health Partnership on Promoting Acceptable Public Health Interventions for Internal Migrants in India, UK, TISS, NIMHANS 2017 –
- GCRF ESRC AHRC Developing mental health literacy in urban and rural communities in Kerala using theatre methodology, UK, TISS, NIMHANS & MHAT.
- NIHR Global Health Research Group: Improving Outcomes in Mental and Physical Multi morbidity and Developing Research Capacity (IMPACT) in South Asia, University of York
- NIHR Global Health Research Group Study: Establishing a Standard Care Package to Improve Diagnosis and Early Hospital Management of Patients with Suspected Acute Brain Infections in Low and Middle Income Countries